Side dish; Vegan; Vegetarian; Gluten-free; BLE complaint
- 4 medium sized baby bok choy heads, halved
- 2 ¼ inch ginger slices, skin left on
- 1 clove garlic smashed
- 2-3 green onions, green part only, 1 inch pieces ( save the whites for another use)
- 2 tablespoons Tamari (low sodium soy sauce is fine) + ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
In a Dutch oven (or any heavy deep sided pan) add oil, garlic, and ginger to pan, and then turn on heat to medium. Allow the garlic and ginger to slowly start to fry, this will release their aromatic qualities in a gentle way. Once the garlic starts to brown, turn and allow it to brown on the other side. Add tamari and water to pan and scrape any bits that have stuck to the pan. Gently place the bok choy cutside down and cover. After five minutes turn bok choy over and replace lid.
*Note – if the liquid is evaporating too fast, add a little more water.
Cook an additional five minutes and check for doneness. The bok choy should pierce easily at the thickest part with a paring knife. Cook a few more minutes if not soft yet, if it is finished toss in green onions and re-cover, turning off heat.
This little stunner goes with beef nicely, and any of the meatless “beef” options such as Gardin or Beyond are great too.
* Note – Gardin is not BLE compliant but Beyond is.